Monday, December 15, 2008

What a relief!

For the past few months Tyler has had some issues. He's never really had a huge appetite and has always been on the skinny side but a few weeks ago when he was throwing up a few times a day and hardly eating anything, I knew there had to be a reason. On a Friday I took him to the doctor and after telling him Tyler's problems he took one look at his giant, bloated belly and ordered a ton of bloodwork and x-rays. It was the saddest thing I've ever done to help hold him down while they drew blood - 3 times! After looking at the x-rays the doctor got on the phone with a pediatric GI (Im not even going to attempt to spell that out!) specialist. We were told he most likely had celiac disease, which means he was allergic to gluten: all oats, wheat, barley...etc. On top of all that, one of the symptoms is lactose intolerance. So I went out and bought all these expensive groceries and gave him only soy milk until our appointment on Monday. To our relief the specialist wasn't convinced it was celiac and requested a 'sample' to test for 2 other treatable problems. Almost a whole week later we were informed that it was H-pylori, a cureable bacteria infection. After 2 antibiotics and pills for a month he should be fine. Thank goodness the kid can eat pizza - its his favorite!

2 comments:

Josh & Jessica said...

I'm glad that it wasn't the allergy thing... I wouldn't even know what to feed a child that would have that problem. I have a problem feeding a "normal" child!

Jodes said...

At least there was a solution! I am glad that he will soon be feeling better!